Skip to main content

Millcreek Journal

Thefts make up bulk of Millcreek Unified Police Department’s calls in October

Jan 10, 2022 03:44PM ● By Bridget Raymundo

Millcreek Unified Police Department front. (Photo courtesy Samantha H.)

By Bridget Raymundo | [email protected]

The Millcreek Unified Police Department released a compiled report at the Millcreek City Council meeting in November. The report details activity from October 2021—a sum of 3,023 calls for service were made and a total of 932 cases were issued. Additionally, 417 citations and 54 arrests were made in the same period of time. The highest number of cases were due to larceny at 100 to count with family offenses as a runner-up at 71 cases. Assault and stolen vehicles were both listed at 44. On the report were 19 counts for drug offenses and 16 counts of burglary. Furthermore, the information includes no homicides, four robberies, and seven sex offense cases. Altogether, the most pressing problems dealt with by Millcreek law enforcement is theft.

As for traffic enforcement on 3300 S. Highland Dr., a total of 19:58 man-hours were accumulated which accounted for 141 stops, 117 warnings, 79 speedings, 27 registration offenses, 24 citations, four stop sign incidents, and two DL violations and crosswalk cases. In a sample of 140 officer action responses, 16.4% comprised citations while the other 83.6% were issued warnings. Given the combined tally of offenses from 140 responses, speeding accounts for the majority at 56.4% while registration offenses (18.6%) was a second major contributor. For a look into one month on Highland Drive, the statistics prove the street to be highly prone to stops for mainly speeding leading to a warning and, less likely, a citation.

Cleaning up property

The Unified Police in Millcreek and the Salt Lake County Health Department have collaborated to produce the Transient Encampment Abatement program. The program’s goal is to clean up campsites. Thus far, the properties which have been affected by this program’s establishment in the month of the report were:

1526 E. Millbrook Way — 1,920 pounds of waste

Ivory Homes Millstone at Millcreek Way — 2,260 pounds of waste

Big Cottonwood Regional Park, 1592 E. Murray-Holladay Road — 920 pounds of waste

All of the properties disposed of items amount to 5,100 pounds which have been transported to the landfill. Compare the most recent data to the 2,000 pounds of waste removed by police in April, and the unwanted debris is seemingly growing. During this time, the TEA program also covered multiple large campsites at 1010 East Van Winkle Expressway.

In addition to the regular job items police are expected to carry, the Millcreek Community Oriented Policing Unit participated in the Red Ribbon Week hosted at Upper Terrace Elementary School alongside the School Resource Officers. The aim of Red Ribbon Week is to prevent alcohol, tobacco, and drug abuse in memory of fallen Drug Enforcement Administration special agent Enrique Camerena. Officers and students were able to discuss preventative measures together and watch police vehicles. Open dialogue is encouraging for the future of peace officers and the community at Millcreek and beyond.

It is also worth noting the Millcreek Community Oriented Policing Unit, the Unified Fire Authority and IHC united together to bring Millcreek Elementary’s Trunk of Treat. The event was an opportunity for the public to enjoy Halloween festivities with a number of role models.

The Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake offer unique services listed on their website underneath the “Services” tab. Some services listed online include graffiti removal, prescription drug drop box, project SafeCam, gang tattoo removal, project safeguard for the protection of people with autism, and more.